Kartoffelsalat = (German potato salad) Episode 4.3

Cooking is all about people - people you share food with, and the people you meet in life's journey.

Katrin Ogilvy was such a powerful influence in my life in the 1980s and 90s. She was the first feminist I knew, and her encouragement of me has had a profound influence on my life. It is okay to be different and more than okay to be a powerful woman.

Katrin was born in Frankfurt a Main, in Germany, and despite having lived more than half her life in Australia, she still speaks with a heavy German accent, and has very European ways. She always served Kartoffelsalat on Christmas Eve, and she taught me how to make this salad. Kartoffelsalat is a traditional dish that has become my "I'll bring a salad" recipe for large gatherings. There are no rules, and so you can add any flavourings you like. I prefer to add speck or boiled eggs.
For full instructions, check out my YouTube video below

Recipe
Serves 8
 • 1 kg kipfler potatoes

Dressing:
• 1 red onion finely diced
• 3 tbl good vinegar (white, cider or white wine are all good)
• 4 tbl olive oil
• 2 tbl dried mixed herbs

Optional extras:
• Diced bacon or speck
• Diced boiled egg
• Sliced anchovy fillets
• 2 tsp mustard


Boil potatoes in their skin until cooked. Drain and allow to cool.

Combine dressing ingredients in a large bowl. Add any optional extras.

Peel potatoes and finely slice. Gradually add potatoes to the bowl, ensuring that all slices are coated with the dressing.

Refrigerate until required.

This dish is even better served the next day.


updated 4th November 2021

Comments

Popular Posts