Winter = comfort food!

I certainly love winter!
I love layers of clothing - possum wool socks, scarves and of course hats!
I also love the comfort food that comes into its own at this time of year.

This weekend I baked bread and damper, made stock, soup, chicken cacciatore and chocolate pudding! All things wonderful - great aromas, hearty food that leaves you warm all over!
I am really struck by how many "ready made" stocks there are out there on the market. Many of them filled with preservatives and thickeners, many of which are not gluten free!. Crazy - when making stock is just so simple and cheap!

Here is my favourite chicken stock recipe:

Chicken Stock

3 chicken carcasses (can be from uncooked or roast chicken)
1 large onion - peeled
2 sticks celery
1 carrot
2 bay leaves
1tblsp peppercorns

Place all the ingredients into a large stock pot. Cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and gently simmer for 3 hours.
Allow to cool and refrigerate overnight.
Skim off the fat and strain the stock discarding all the pieces of chicken and vegetables.

Stock can be frozen for up to 3 months.

now off to make some risotto for dinner!

Comments

Popular Posts