Gluten Free Madeleines - episode 4.2


The madeleine is a traditional small cake from the Lorraine region in northeastern France. It is light, dainty and delicious! Madeleine refers to the distinctive tin that produces shell shaped cakes.

It has always been my " quick I need to whip up something because guests have just phoned - they are on their way!" dish - that is until recently when I attended a workshop by Petite Cherie  She showed us the technique of resting the batter for at least 2 hours. Although this was for "ordinary" madeleines, not the gluten free variety that I would be baking.

So off to the test kitchen I headed. I made 2 batches, one that I rested for 2 hours in the fridge, and then just before it was time to put in the oven, I made a second batch - how I was accustomed to. They both went into the oven together, and then we could see the difference.  I also used both metal and silicon trays for each batter.

The results: the rested batter was much thicker and harder to pipe into the madeleine tin. It rose slightly more than the other batter and the resulting cakes were much lighter in texture.

To see how to make my version of these "can't stop at one" treats, visit my YouTube channel at the link below.

Recipe
Makes 12


• 80 g unsalted butter,  melted
• 2 eggs, at room temperature
• 120 g castor sugar
• 30 ml milk, at room temperature
• 165 g plain flour (GF)
• 5 g baking powder (GF)
• zest of 1 lemon


Preheat the oven to 200°C fan/220°C.

Whisk together eggs and sugar until thick. Add milk and mix well.
Combine flour, zest and baking powder. Mix well.
Sprinkle flour onto egg mixture and mix well.
Add melted butter and fold through.

Rest mixture in fridge for 2 hours.

Transfer batter into a piping bag. Fill greased moulds to ¾ full.

Bake for 4 minutes, then reduce heat to 180°C fan/200°C and bake for a further 4 minutes.
Allow to cool in the tray before turning out onto a wire rack.

NB. If you are not using a piping bag, spoon the mixture into the moulds before resting.


Updated May 2023

Comments

Popular Posts